With some 65 beaches to choose from, beach-hopping on Skiathos can become a full-time occupation. Buses ply the south coast, stopping at 26 numbered beach access points. Megali Amos is only 2km from town, but fills up quickly. The first long stretch of sand worth getting off the bus for is the pine-fringed Vromolimnos Beach. Further along, Kolios Beach and Troulos Beach are also good but both very popular. The bus continues to Koukounaries Beach, backed by pine trees and known as the best beach in Greece.
Big Banana Beach , known for its curving shape and soft white sand, is at the other side of the headland.
West of Koukounaries, Agia Eleni Beach is a favourite with windsurfers. Sandy Mandraki Beach , a 1.5km walk along a pine-shaded path, is just far enough to keep clear of many people. The northwest coast's beaches are less crowded but are subject to the strong summer northeasterly wind.
Lalaria Beach is a peaceful strand of pale grey, egg-shaped pebbles on the northern coast, but can only be reached by excursion boat from Skiathos Town.
Perched on a rocky headland above the north coast, Kastro was the fortified pirate-proof capital of the island from 1540 to 1829. An old cannon remains at the northern end, along with four restored churches, including Christos, home to several fine frescoes. Excursion boats come from the old port in Skiathos Town to the beach below Kastro, from where it's an easy clamber up to the ruins.
This monastery is surely worth a visit Moni Evangelistria (The holy monastery of Annunciation) one of the most remarkable monuments of North Sporades. Founded during the Byzantine period (1790-1860), it is surrounded by beautiful country side.
The remaining parts of the monastery are the church,the cells of the South wing, the fireside and the furnace. The church in the monaster which is honoured to the Annunciation of the Virgin. it gives strangers to the Greek church an idea of the strength and power that once held the people of Greece in such thrall. It also is a historical first as it is in this very place the official Greek flag was raised in 1807 and provided great economical and moral support during the Revolution of 1821.
In a narrow alley, is the house in which the great Greek writer Alexandros Papadiamantis lived and created. The house, built in 1860 (as evidenced by an inscription on a wall inside the papadiamantishouse), has become a museum and is a fine example of 19th century life, as it is a typical island storeyed house with the upper floor, where there were rooms and the basement, an open space with the house's well in the middle.
Left, as you enter, is the wintry room with its historical fireplace, where the saint of Greek literature passed his near to death moments. In the smaller room to the right were guarded books and vestments of priest Adamantios, the father of Alexander.
Later the writer took over the room and made it his office and retreat. It is like a monastery cell, with a window, a built-in cupboard and a narrow bed. Just opposite the entrance is the living room of the house with only luxury a colored diamond on the ceiling. It is a simple, plain and austere island home.
Perfect Blue Holidays - 22/11/2017